Where did the Baltimore ravens get their name?

johnny z

Jan 2, 2011
Wrong Section, but i guess you already know that. Where it is true Edgar Alan Poe (author of the poem "The Raven") is buried in a cemetery in Maryland, Poe was not born in Baltimore or Maryland. The local newspaper "The Baltimore Sun" ran a contest around the time the stadium was being built and we got the news that the NFL was returning to Charm City. Hundreds if not thousands of entries were mailed in and out of those the Raven name was chosen to represent, therefore the birth of the name "The Ravens".

** Neither Ruth or Poe were orphans, Ruth did go to a school in Baltimore for troubled youth called "St Mary's Industrial College" (it was his HS) the school was closed but in the 1960's it was reborn as "Cardinal Gibbons" Catholic School for boys, where i attended and graduated in 1978. Cardinal Gibbons was closed also and the last graduating class was in 2010. You could argue that even though i did not go to school with the Babe, i did walk the same halls as he.

Aug 29, 2011
Edgar Allen Poe is buried there and one of his poems was about a Raven.

Poe switched his focus to prose and spent the next several years working for literary journals and periodicals, becoming known for his own style of literary criticism. His work forced him to move among several cities, including Baltimore, Philadelphia, and New York City. In Baltimore in 1835, he married Virginia Clemm, his 13-year-old cousin. In January 1845 Poe published his poem, "The Raven", to instant success. His wife died of tuberculosis two years after its publication. He began planning to produce his own journal, The Penn (later renamed The Stylus), though he died before it could be produced. On October 7, 1849, at age 40, Poe died in Baltimore; the cause of his death is unknown and has been variously attributed to alcohol, brain congestion, cholera, drugs, heart disease, rabies, suicide, tuberculosis, and other agents.[3]